Thursday, August 7, 2008

Vegan Hiking Clothing Part 2 - Socks

Okay, so I must confess that in addition to possible glue in my shoes, I wore... wool socks sometimes. Although I unnecessarily broke from my vegan covenant, you certainly don't need to.

For a warm season thru-hike you most likely won't need particularly thick socks - in fact, so much of the Pacific Crest Trail is in deserts that thin, well breathing socks are your best bet. I am an Eagle Scout, and thus grew up in the old world of hiking - heavy leather boots that required nothing short of a sweater wrapped around your feet for padding with poly-pro socks underneath. The last mile of trail was usually a near sprint as I couldn't wait to get to camp, tear off my boots and air out my feet in some camp shoes (running shoes!). Well, fortunately I now wear running shoes to hike in and don't need all of the padding. The only times that I wear something thicker than a light running sock is when I know that I'll be spending the day in the snow or if a blister is beginning to form. Incidentally, I didn't get a single blister after 2 weeks on the PCT.

Within the world of thin socks there are endless possibilities. Just about every athletic company makes wicking socks for running these days. Hiking companies still make a number of different types of non-wool hiking and walking socks and liners that also do the trick. The "Ray-way" is probably to grab some polyester dress socks out of the bargain bin at your local clothing store. I hiked with people that wore poly dress socks and had no complaints. I carried 3 pair of socks with me at any given time on the trail - 2 thin pair for hiking and 1 thick pair for sleeping. The world of thick socks gets a little trickier for vegans. Companies are pretty good at making it unclear as to exactly what goes into their products. It seems as though wool is enough of a selling point these days to the average outdoor enthusiast that companies often advertise the wool content even if there is very little. CoolMax is an engineered high-wicking polyester material used by a number of sock companies such as ThorLo and WigWam.

Part of the reason that I wore wool socks is because I have pretty sensitive skin to synthetic materials. There are a number of non animal natural fibers out there, althoughI do not have a great deal of experience with them. I have a pair of hemp socks that are marketed as hiking socks, however, even though hemp has more oil than cotton, the socks seem to perform like cotton when wet - i.e. they don't. I've seen bamboo socks available but know very little about them. Although not organic (yet) there are a number of treated cotton socks that offer a nice balance between natural fibers and high performance. Many CoolMax socks are, in fact, a blend of polyester and cotton.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

going to try some heatholder socks - they appear to be synthetic. need a heavyweight, warm, water resistant and non-folding/bunching susbstitute for Filson wool socks. let me know if you know of any subs. thanks.

marlajns@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Just like we buy garments and clothes for wearing them on different occasions and events, the case is not different with the socks. The thick custom wool socks are fully made in compliance to provide people with a new pair of fashionable socks at a special event. wholesale wool socks